Although there are many rewards of effective leadership, especially the personal satisfaction of knowing, one is making a meaningful, beneficial difference, for the better, for an organization, he believes in, and thinks, worthwhile, and the stakeholders, he serves and represents, there are also, generally, multiple obstacles and challenges. How someone handles these obstacles, as either problems, or challenges, to overcome, is, perhaps the most significant factor, which determines the eventual outcome! Only, if, and when, an individual, is fully prepared, including relevant training, learning, and developing relevant judgment, as well as having a positive, can – do, attitude, often, determines whether he is capable of making a significant, relevant, difference, for the better. We often say, someone must be READY, willing, and able, to lead, but, only, when an individual prepares properly, does he have the readiness, which generally must come first, before the latter two, are possible. With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, why this is so relevant to quality leadership.
1. Relevant; responsive; resolve; responsible: One can only be ready, to lead, if he recognizes, and prioritizes the most relevant considerations, and prepares accordingly. When prepared, and ready, an individual must proceed forward, in a responsive way, to resolve obstacles, in a timely manner, treating them as challenges to overcome, rather than, as problems. True leaders assume the responsibility, and never resort to blaming others, and complaining!
2. Empathetic; emphasis; energize: Leading must not, be about, the personal agenda, and/ or, self – interest, of the leader! True leaders must be genuinely empathetic, and place their emphasis on addressing the goals, priorities, needs, and perceptions, of those they serve and represent. When one proceeds, in this manner, he becomes capable of energizing others, and, thus, motivating and inspiring them, to care more, and become more involved and committed.
3. Attention; attitude; aptitude; action: The art of quality leadership, necessitates paying keen attention, with an open – mind, to the best way to focus and proceed! Combining a positive, can – do, attitude, with a relevant, well – developed aptitude, makes one ready, for action, and prepared, to perceive and conceive of, create, develop and implement a strategic, and action plan!
4. Dreams; delve deeply; deliver: One must possess relevant dreams, and a vital, vibrant vision, combined with a willingness, and ability, to delve deeply, if hopes to deliver, on fulfilling the best leadership, possible!
5. You: It’s always up to you, whether you are prepared, and ready to make a difference, for the better!
Leaders must be READY to act, in a well – considered, timely manner! Will you be, up to the task, and responsibility?